Appeal to the Industries
The Honourable Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu has made an announcement under Rule 110 on the floor of the Assembly on 05.06.2018 that there will be ban on"use of one time use and throwaway plastics" from 01.01.2019. Subsequently, in G.O. vide reference cited, the Government has imposed ban on the manufacture, store, supply, transport, sale or distribution of certain "use and throwaway plastics" such as plastic sheets, plastic plates, plastic coated tea cups/tumblers, plastic straw, plastic flags, plastic sheets, plastic water pouches and carry bags (irrespective of thickness) from 01.01.2019 onwards exempting certain items as detailed in 1(b) of the said notification.
In this regard, it has been directed with immediate effect that all the industries shall take the following measures so as to comply with the order of the Government on the ban on use of one time use and throwaway plastic items:
1. Provide permanent display board made of metal (not in PVC Flex) with pictorial representation of the banned "one time use and throwaway plastics" items at the entrance of the industry, for informing the visitors about the implementation of the ban on "use of one time use and throwaway plastics".
2. Declare their industry premises as "plastic free zone" and stickers shall be put up prominently.
3. Conduct awareness programme among the employees and other public within 10 Km radius , about the ban on use of "one time use and throwaway plastics" and the alternatives for the banned plastics, utilising the services of proactive NGO's, NGC and ECO clubs.
4. Conduct competitions among the children's of their employees for creating awareness about ban on use of "one time use and throwaway plastics".
5. Take pledge to avoid "one time use and throwaway plastics".
6. Provide notices to the suppliers, customers and visitors, detailing the banned plastic items and to make practice to use alternate to banned plastic items.
7. Ensure that the banned plastic items are not used in the canteen, offices, official meetings, etc.
8. Form a "one time use and throwaway plastics avoidance Committee" comprising of top, middle and lower level officials with responsibility to create and spread awareness among the employees and community around 10 Km radius.
The industry may carry out the above awareness programme under Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). Further it is informed that the above activities carried out by the industry will be taken into account for Green Awards, issued by Government of Tamil Nadu.
The industry shall document the above and send the same to the TNPC Board through email id: email@example.com on or before 15.12.2018.